REVIEW : The Sun Is Also a Star

© Goodreads
TITLE: The Sun Is Also a Star
AUTHOR: Nicola Yoon
GENRES: Fiction, Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult
PAGES: 348
PUBLISHED: November 3rd 2016
PUBLISHER: Corgi Books



Natasha: I'm a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I'm definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won't be my story.

Daniel: I've always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents' high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget all about that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store - for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

WHAT I THINK

"Sure, but why not more poems about the sun? The sun is also a star, and it's our most important one. That alone should be worth a poem or two."

The fact that this is the first book in a long long time that I read in one day, tells a lot already. This is pretty fast paced book and can be read in one sitting. It's super catching too. It was really hard to leave this at home when I had to do stuff like go to store or something like that.

The characters. They are completely each others opposites. Natasha believes only in science while Daniel believes in God and fate. So they are perfect for each others, right? In my opinion, they truly are.
Natasha is a lot like me, even her family life is a lot similar to mine. Though with the difference that I'm not immigrant. It was easy for me to step in to her shoes and read her POV. And damn she's had it hard. I'm surprised that her 'explosion' didn't happen earlier.
Daniel it's completely the opposite. He's a Korean boy who believes in God and fate. He thinks that fate brought them together and they are meant to be. Or like Daniel says: "Love at the second sight." While Natasha wants scientific facts about love and all these thing happening to them. Daniel is super cute and heroic and all that but still I can't stop thinking that maybe he's a bit too gullible about everything.

There was a small Carve the Mark -moment for me. I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Carve the Mark but still when there were talk about different futures and stuff, Carve the Mark was the only thing that popped in my head. Though that's not the reason why this book lost half a star from me.
I loved the story, I loved all the romance and that. But I think there were just a little too many coincidences happening to them. It took the bottom from this story when you could already guess what happens next since it was all almost the same that had happened already.
BUT. All the coincidences aside, I'll take off only half a star and give this 4,5 stars. And why, you may ask. Because of the heartbreaking ending! That was completely something that I wasn't expecting.
WANT TO BUY BOOKS WITH FREE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING?
Use this link to get to Book Depository and I'll receive a small commission and you can buy some awesome books with free shipping!

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

 
Hanna Reads Blog Design by Ipietoon